Is BlackBox 1.8 incompatible to BlackBox 1.7?

BlackBox for Windows / Linux / OpenBSD / FreeBSD
https://github.com/bbcb/bbcp https://blackbox.oberon.org/download
X512

Re: Is BlackBox 1.8 incompatible to BlackBox 1.7?

Post by X512 »

Мне подход через хук кажется неверным, так как процедуры будут работать то одним способом, то другим... как-то это не способствует надежности...
Translated:
To me, the hook approach seems to be wrong, since the procedures will work in one way, then in another ... somehow this does not contribute to reliability...
This is already so, because different implementations are used for Windows and *NIX. To avoid this problem, Unicode module should be implemented in Component Pascal without using DLL/SO calls.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

X512 wrote:
Мне подход через хук кажется неверным, так как процедуры будут работать то одним способом, то другим... как-то это не способствует надежности...
Translated:
To me, the hook approach seems to be wrong, since the procedures will work in one way, then in another ... somehow this does not contribute to reliability...
This is already so, because different implementations are used for Windows and *NIX. To avoid this problem, Unicode module should be implemented in Component Pascal without using DLL/SO calls.
Yes, this is done! So I am suggesting to import Unicode to the Kernel, and use it inside Kernel.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Actually, I think, that it will be good to make some steps back in 1.8 like Helmut suggests and fix it as beta.
Then to change version to 2.0 and change interfaces as it will more suitable for cross platform version.
There will be several Host folders for target OSes like HostWin32GUI HostWin32Console, HostLinuxGUI, HostLinuxConsole, HostFreeBSDGUI etc. Ivan Kuzmitski and Peter Kushnir did such successful experiments some years ago.
https://gitlab.molpit.org/Ikuzmitsky/bl ... 0150328.7z
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

Ivan Denisov wrote:There will be several Host folders for target OSes like HostWin32GUI HostWin32Console, HostLinuxGUI, HostLinuxConsole, HostFreeBSDGUI etc.
Does somewhere exist an interface definition about HostWin32GUI and HostWin32Console?
Is the interface definition of HostLinuxGUI the same as the interface definition of HostWin32GUI?
Is the interface definition of HostLinuxConsole the same as the interface definition of HostWin32Console?

Where can I find them?

-Helmut
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

The modules from the Host folders shall not be used in users projects, so the interfaces somehow are irrelevant.
These modules now are spreading in the folders of the repository https://github.com/bbcb/bbcp/tree/master/BlackBox
So it is hard to maintain repository and to make cross-compilation. This issue is about reorganization of Host for easier support of cross-platform development.
X512

Post by X512 »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Yes, this is done! So I am suggesting to import Unicode to the Kernel, and use it inside Kernel.
Unicode support code is big and it should be an option to run Kernel and String modules without it by assuming ASCII and IsAlpha(ch) = TRUE if ch >= 100X.

Also where Unicode module source can be found?
Last edited by X512 on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
X512

Post by X512 »

Ivan Denisov wrote:HostLinuxGUI, ..., HostFreeBSDGUI
Is there a difference between Linux and BSD GUI? Maybe it is better to name it HostGtk2GUI?
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

X512 wrote:
Ivan Denisov wrote:Yes, this is done! So I am suggesting to import Unicode to the Kernel, and use it inside Kernel.
Unicode support code is big and it should be an option to run Kernel and String modules without it by assuming ASCII and IsAlpha(ch) = TRUE if ch >= 100X.

Also where Unicode module source can be found?
https://github.com/bbcb/bbcp/blob/dev18 ... nicode.odc
The .ocf file is 42KB. That is not very big for PC. For some MCU, maybe. However BlackBox is not used a lot with MCU now, as I know. There should be more optimizations for MCU anyway.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

X512 wrote:
Ivan Denisov wrote:HostLinuxGUI, ..., HostFreeBSDGUI
Is there a difference between Linux and BSD GUI? Maybe it is better to name it HostGtk2GUI?
There are some differences in libraries and in memory manage (Kernel), so there should be some separate Host for FreeBSD and OpenBSD . I think, that they can import HostLinux modules for their been reused.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I returned these procedures to Strings, by importing Unicode.
We decided to keep 1.8 more compatible with 1.7.
And continue more radical changes with 2.0 version.
I will publish news about 2.0 soon.