Windows 7 "access is denied"

Usage of the framework, compiler and tools
Mark92691

Windows 7 "access is denied"

Post by Mark92691 »

Completely new user. Just downloaded SetupBlackBox16.exe and ran under Windows 7. Now trying the Guided Tour. Attempt to compile the first tutorial module fails with a modal dialogue box displaying the error message "C:\Program Files\BlackBox Component Builder 1.6\Obx\Code\Hello0.ocf could not be replaced because access is denied."

A quick Bing search suggests that nobody should be writing into C:\Program Files.

Is there a way to set the target directory for compiles? A recommended directory structure for newly-developed code?

Can this be done so that existing code in Obx\Code can still be reused as part of new programs?

TIA,

Mark
cfbsoftware

Re: Windows 7 "access is denied"

Post by cfbsoftware »

To avoid this problem follow these instructions from Chapter 4 Server installation (Windows only) of the BlackBox Component Builder User Manual (System/Douc/User-Man). In your case the workstation and the server are the same machine:
1) Install BlackBox in a directory on the server machine, using Setup.exe. The directory must be shared on the network but the access may be restricted to read only.

2) For each workstation / user, create a working directory (either on the server or on the client). The user should have read/write access to this directory. The directory may be empty.

3) For each workstation, create a shortcut with the following contents:

Command Line (Target): <BlackBoxDir>\BlackBox.exe /Use <WorkDir>
Working Directory (Start in): <WorkDir>

where <BlackBoxDir> stands for the full path name of the directory where BlackBox is installed (on the server), and <WorkDir> is the path of the working directory of the actual machine (on the client or on the server). The latter must not end with a backslash ("\"). Use double quotation marks to delimit path names that contain spaces.

Example:
Command Line (Target): "C:\Program Files\BlackBox\BlackBox.exe" /Use C:\BlackBox
Working Directory (Start in): C:\BlackBox
If your source code module is named MODULE XyzModulename and is saved as filename Modulename.odc in the folder C:\BlackBox\Xyz\Mod, BlackBox will automatically create the appropriate subfolders (e.g. Sym, Code) to store the symbol and object code files when you compile the source.
manumart1

Post by manumart1 »

Instead of installing in "C:\Programs Files" via setup.exe, I find easier to use a sort of portable program.
I simply download a zip file and extract it in the folder I want.
Examples: Regards
Mark92691

Post by Mark92691 »

"User Manual"

That worked. Thanks for the pointer, and excerpt. I was starting under the assumption that the "Guided Tour" was self-contained (that is, didn't require one to read any other documentation). Now I know better. :)

Thanks for your help,

Mark
akastargazer

Post by akastargazer »

Install to any user folder, not to Program Files folder which is under read-only protection.